Thanksgiving is here, offering me another lovely opportunity to give thanks. I get a lot of practice at this during the Gratitude Project each year, when I’m joined by friends and strangers in marking the things I’m grateful for each day.
Thanksgiving is easier and harder. The whole country is exhaling their thanks all together, and that’s powerful stuff. What can I add to the fray?
- I’m grateful for the opportunity to give thanks.
- I’m grateful for my family, and their endless patience with me.
- I’m grateful for the work I’ve done around financial stability in the past two years, even if it feels somedays like I’m bailing out the Titanic with a teaspoon.
- I’m grateful for the November weather. A friend said, “This month was an apology for June.” Apology accepted; it’s been great. I’ve been storing up bites of sunshine every day for the long dark winter I know is coming.
- I’m grateful for my kids growing up. Babies are wonderful, but life without diapers or night wakings is pretty great too.
- I’m grateful for my community, and the endless flow of fun parties, hand-me-down clothes and playdates I find myself swimming in.
- I’m grateful for some quiet. The past five years gave been very loud in my life, and (not unrelated to gratitude #5) I’m starting to see some space for silence open up in my hours. It’s a blessing.
- Finally, I’m grateful for this blog. That’s incredibly hokey, but also deeply true. It’s become my touchstone, and a daily motivator to sit down and write. I love reading comments from you, dear readers, and sharing the little joys and challenges of watching my kids grow.
What about you? What are you grateful for today? Every day?